Thread: Apostolic grammatical dual addressing

1. Default Apostolic grammatical dual addressing

Granville Penn with epistle verses showing dual addressing God and Jesus Christ

Hi,

2 Peter 1:1
    Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ,
    to them that have obtained like precious faith with us
    through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

Annotations to the Book of the New Covenant: With an Expository Preface
    Granville Penn
    http://books.google.com/books?id=S80tAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA455
    ... II Peter - Chapter 1
    The "masterly note (says Bloomfield) in justification of the rendering, 'our God and Saviour,' by Bp. Middleton, proves, that the passage is plainly and unequivocally to be understood as an assumption, that Jesus Christ 'is our God and Saviour.'". ... This proffered division of Erasmus, our revisers accepted from his authority, and chose the latter alternative. It is now to be inquired, whether they were justified in so doing. Though the import insisted on by those earnest commentators is, no doubt, doctrinally true, yet, the true construction of the passage does not rest on that truth of doctrine, but on soundness of interpretation. Let us, therefore, review this form of association, in the several places where it occurs in other places.

... This is not a question of doctrine, but of true and correct interpretation. A forced and artful interpretation can administer no lasting support to doctrine; but casts on it a suspicious character, by the manifest violence exercised to defend it. The doctrine, which those zealous commentators were anxious to confirm by their joint efforts on this text, needed not those exertions; since it pervades the whole Gospel-Covenant, and constitutes its entire foundation. Precipitate and ill-considered advocacy, acts hostilely to every cause. In this verse, the sacred writer meant to convey the sense to which our revisers (whose orthodoxy cannot be questioned) have been guided by Erasmus, viz. "the justification of our God, and "of our Saviour J. C."

Granville Penn also points out that it would be very simple to write "our God and Saviour Jesus Christ" directly in the Greek, without a convoluted and hidden to the reader grammatical construction. This is another type of fundamental point that is a bit too difficult for today's atomistic seminarians.

And that was the list from which I drew the verses in my post giving examples of apostolic (Paul and Peter) dual addressing.

===============

Mirrored from CARM

Granville Penn with epistle verses showing dual addressing God and Jesus Christ

http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthrea...=1#post6201862

Yours in Jesus,
    Steven Avery

2. Default Benjamin Hall Kennedy- apostolic dual addressing of God & Christ in mutual relation

Titus 2:13
    Looking for that blessed hope,
    and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Benjamin Hall Kennedy (1804-1899) who was one of the committee members on the revision that was railroaded into the Westcott-Hort recension. In discussing Titus 2:13, he made a similar excellent point (although I would not use the word "persons purpose distinct") :

The divinity of Christ, a sermon. With an appendix on Romans ix. 5, and Titus ii. 13
    (1883)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=lLQHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA16

As to the passage in Titus, since I believe it to be rightly rendered by the translators of 1611,1 had no occasion to notice it in 1861. But it now becomes a plain though painful duty to contend against the change made by the majority of the Revisers, which seems to me a blot on our work.

Let me first set down a state of facts, as preliminary to the whole discussion.

(1) St Paul's thirteen epistles contain more than 200 passages, in which the names of God (the Father) and Christ (under various titles) appear in mutual relation, as names of persons purposely distinct. See the list at foot*.

Note: I have not reviewed this list.

Oh, one post above did correct a typo Trebelles, thanks!

Yours in Jesus,
    Steven Avery